Now that the dust, buzz, and PR settled from the Los Angeles Auto Show.
In no particular order, what caught our attention.
- This show marks the start of the 2011 show season for the North American auto industry, its encouraging to see the air filled with heightened optimism, from an industry that is usually optimistic.
- Everyone is saying that hybrids, electric vehicles do not make sense (all these studies by serious think tanks), and everyone (manufacturer) has one, go figure!
- Must be a coincidence that GM timed its IPO during the press days of the show.
- Chrysler finally took the wraps off new product, an encouraging sign.
- Fiat officially launched the NA edition of the Cinquecento, we are disappointed that none of our local dealers have been awarded a Fiat franchise (perhaps the premises are a factor).
- Our friend @MissMotorMouth did a great job of tweeting from the show.
- The Ducati / AMG collaboration caught us momentarily off guard (is an energy drink blipping on AMG's radar).
- Totally impressed, and blown away by Lotus, the 5 cars in Paris sent the initial salvo, now the Indy engine deal, Bob Lutz, Sharon Stone presenting...very cool.
- Lotus has 700 engineers doing work for most manufacturers, and 50% of the work is on hybrids, electric what does it tell you.
- Did you hear about the Chrysler/Fiat store in LA? Huge place, big social gathering, Marchionne was mingling with the guests.
- The paradox is performance and fuel economy, did someone, anyone forget that you need serious energy to generate serious horsepower, all the turbos in the world will not make a difference without an energy source.
- Laura Soave at the helm of Fiat is totally cool.
- At auto shows its easy for anyone and everyone to verbalise all sorts of aspirations, keeping in mind that at some point the aspirations need to be executed (walk the talk).
- Some of the vehicles that caught our attention? The restyled Subaru Impreza, Nissan Ellure concept, Mazda Shinari concept, Jaguar CX 75 styling (not the powertrain), the Cinquecento becoming a reality!
- No we did not forget the Sprinter Cup Cakes!
Do you think the time has come where we all need one?
Think about it...how much of the "stuff" flies around, some is blatant, some is camouflaged, some is subtle, some is in your face.
Here it is the BS button.
Absolutely you need to be your own editor, you need to quickly be in a position to press on the BS button when it simply does not make sense to you. When it defies gravity, and starts flying around...when its not credible.
Agreed it might be relevant to someone else, while its BS for you...just press the button. You'll feel better...
As we start looking ahead to 2011, besides being your own editor, now we suggest that you get a BS button to further reinforce your editing.
Be assured that it will be useful several times in 2011, besides you can use it right now.
Are you looking for an example?:
- The other day we visited a business, the entrance door was across the corridor from the toilet door (facing each other)....a case of "who made this BS decision?".
If you have examples (sure you do), leave a comment...